Re: Clever delegation ??

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Carl Ellison wrote:

> At 10:22 PM 4/2/97 -0800, Bill Frantz wrote:
> >I think it depends on whether the items in the tag grant authority or
> >remove it.  Consider composing the tags (ftp /pub/ftp/foo) and (ftp
> >/pub/ftp/foo R/O).  I believe that the method you suggest would reduce this
> >to (ftp /pub/ftp/foo) which just might allow the holder to replace foo.
> >
> >It is issues like this which need to be made clear so people don't shoot
> >themselves in the foot.

I think, the above example is wrong. The tags should be:

  (ftp /pub/ftp/foo R)    and
  (ftp /pub/ftp/foo R W)

The rights to Read and to Write are two distinct things. If we look at it
this way, there are no more problems. It reduces to

  (ftp /pub/ftp/foo R)

and we have what we want.

Regards, Franco

PS- Sorry, my english is very poor.

| Franco Papacella      Tel.: +41 1 9106674             |
| Arpage Systems AG     Fax.: +41 1 9106686             |
| Zuerichstr. 64        franco@arpage.ch (R&D)          |
| CH- 8700 Kuesnacht    franco@hin.ch (Health-Info-Net) |
|                       franco@goldnet.ch (private)     |