adding/subtracting permissions ??

The way I think about tags is the following:

	Each tag is either *-free (containing no *-forms), or not.

	Each *-free tag is supposed grant a specific permission.

	A tag containing *-forms stands for a SET of *-free forms, and
	so grants a SET of corresponding specific permissions.

If you try to have "negative authorization", then you can get into
trouble, independent of *-forms.  For example, following Tony's
example below, you might have a tag
	(exec-ok <program> <file>)
e.g.
	(exec-ok P F)
which is intended to mean: "You have permission to run program
P as long as its input is not the file F."  Independent of *-forms, what is
it supposed mean if I have two certificates:
	(exec-ok P F)
	(exec-ok P F')
for two different files F and F'?  Clearly I can now run P on any
program I like! (To apply P to F', I use the first certificate, and to
apply it to F, I use the second.  For any other file, I can use either
certificate.)

I think the problem you are proposing have little to do with *-forms, and
arise from the "negative" nature of the authorization.  What does it mean
to have two certificates:
	(vacation-not-ok-on (* set Monday Tuesday))
	(vacation-not-ok-on (* set Monday Wednesday))
With these certificates, I can take a vacation on any day but Monday!
But the *-free certificates
	(vacation-not-ok-on Monday)
	(vacation-not-ok-on Tuesday)
	(vacation-not-ok-on Wednesday)
are also problematic: I can take a vacation any day I like!  The problems
arise from having multiple certificates (starred or not) that attempt
to take away privileges, rather than grant them.

"Negative authorizations" should just not be used.  Each *-free form
should grant a specific (positive) authorization.  The *-forms just
provide a short-hand for granting multiple authorizations at once, but
don't really introduce any new issues.

Ron Rivest