Re: Java programs, etc.

Marianne,

	SPKI isn't straight capabilities but there are some similarities.

At 02:44 PM 4/8/97 -0700, Marianne Mueller wrote:
>		Notes on Capabilities Model
>		===========================
>
>Presented by Marv Schaefer on May 1st 1996 at the Java Security
>Workshop

>So, questions are:
>
> + is posession of capability sufficient or is something else needed ?

Possession isn't enough.  This is what makes SPKI certs different from
capabilities.  SPKI certs have signatures and you have to:

1) demonstrate power to use a private key
2) present a chain of authorization between that private key and the source
of authority

> + where do capabilities come from ?

Any verifier is a source of authorization.  The verifier (typically a
gateway or a resource owner), makes decisions based on these certificates.
It therefore has the power to grant capabilities.

> + what has capability-building capability ?

Every principal has the power to delegate authorizations it has been granted.

> + how and when can capabilities be:
>   - passed ?

In the clear, at any time.

>   - stored ?

Anywhere.

>   - reused ?

As long as they're still valid.

>   - augmented ?

Never.

>   - attenuated ?

By any delegator.

>   - revoked ?

Only by on-line test.  Normally they expire.

> + are capabilities inherited ?

Only if you specifically delegate them.  This concept is from the capability
model and I believe has to do with child processes.

> + are capabilities typesafe ? scrutable ? inscrutable ? to what ?

These words don't mean anything to me in SPKI terms.

> + define "domain" ?

..ditto

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison  cme@cybercash.com   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc.                      http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|207 Grindall Street   PGP 2.6.2: 61E2DE7FCB9D7984E9C8048BA63221A2 |
|Baltimore MD 21230-4103  T:(410) 727-4288  F:(410)727-4293        |