Re: binary vs. S-expressions

 A million monkeys operating under the pseudonym
 "Tatu Ylonen <ylo@ssh.fi>" typed:

> As I said at the SPKI working group meeting, I strongly think
> that we should use a binary-only format.

<snip>

> As Ron points out, readable formats do help a bit in debugging and
> troubleshooting.  However, the relevance of this is small after the
> initial development; from then on, reliability, robustness and
> interoperability are the major issues.

I've been told that HTTP, HTML, SMTP, RFC822, and MIME were
successful in part because their human-readable encoding
facilitated learning and development.  I wasn't involved with any
of that so I can't confirm it, but it certainly sounds reasonable
to me.

As a bonus, SPKI in a human-readable 7-bit ASCII form can be easily
_used_ with those standards.

Regards,

Zooko Journeyman

Disclaimers follow:  I am not a cypherpunk.  NOT speaking for
DigiCash or any other person or organization.  No PGP sig follows.