Re: Base-64 encoding proposal

At 7:40 PM -0700 4/15/97, Ron Rivest wrote:
>I think the "right" way to think of base-64 encodings is as follows.
>Rather than thinking of base-64 as a way of encoding some object
>(a byte string or maybe an S-expression), just think of base-64
>as a 6-bit per character channel rather than an 8-bit per character
>channel.  You just have to read enough 6-bit chars to get your
>next 8 bits of data, which you spit out.  This has nice side effects,
>such as eliminating the need for a separate "fragmentation" mechanism.

Yes.  Base-64 can be proof against things that are even worse than EBCDIC
translation.  Been there, done that.

Bill Frantz       | God could make the world   | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | in six days because he did | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | not have an installed base.| Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA