Re: Java programs, etc.

At 03:06 PM 4/15/97 +0200, Bryce wrote:
>Hm.  I can issue a cert authorizing Alice to read and write in my
>"/tmp/foo" directory, and then later I can issue another one
>authorizing Alice to read and write my "/tmp/bar" directory.
>Alice is going to present these certificates at my firewall,
>which is going to take them, inspect them, generate similar
>certificates signed by itself, and then forward her WebNFS packets
>along with the new certificates to my WebNFS server.
>

>Now, the firewall _knows_ that anyone who is allowed to read
>and write "/tmp/foo" and "/tmp/bar" is also allowed to read and
>write "/tmp" itself.  This is just my own personal policy.
>
>I have given the firewall instructions to compile certificates like
>the ones Alice has into a single certificate, issued by the
>firewall, stating that Alice can read and write in the "/tmp"
>directory.
>

>Thus, the firewall is going to, if not "augment", then at least
>"combine" Alice's certs.

AH,

	this is exactly what PolicyMaker (or some other tag program) is designed to
do.  We'll have a write up of how to achieve that, once we get it past Matt
and the list.

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison  cme@cybercash.com   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc.                      http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|207 Grindall Street   PGP 2.6.2: 61E2DE7FCB9D7984E9C8048BA63221A2 |
|Baltimore MD 21230-4103  T:(410) 727-4288  F:(410)727-4293        |