Re: Summary Trust x Delegation

At 03:58 PM 5/24/97 GMT, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>> From: "E. Gerck" <egerck@laser.cps.softex.br>
>> We have the following *main* groups, propositions and comments:
>>
>> A. "Trust is not transitive" is a fact in all cases even with perfect
>> B. "Trust is not transitive" only if you take forgery and unlawful acts
>> C. "Trust is transitive". There is no issue about it and delegation is a
>
>I'm sorry, but that's not what I got out of the debate at all.
>
>I saw folks indicate that trust is not an objective protocol issue, it
>is a subjective human motivation.
>
>The protocol issues are "authentication", "authorization", and
>"delegation".
>
>SPKI needs to clearly indicate how each is handled.  I think that it
>does a reasonably job so far, but anticipate cleaning up the text.

FYI.

This was Microsoft's early attempt, last year, at a general framework for
this area, and specifies an API to (Windows) applications.

http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/prog/security/authcode/WINTRUST.HTM

It would seem that the company chose the term "trust" as
a function of the (generalized) system.