Re: legal question about certs

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Nick Szabo wrote:

-> Ed Gerck:
-> > That's exactly my point. You are not liable if you don't sign.
->
-> Such a stark binary conclusion is unwarranted.  Evidence can have
-> greater or lesser weight, and must be judged in context.  If the
-> issuer is highly reputable, and signed a certificate containing your
-> name and a key, that might be weighted quite highly as evidence.

I have always affirmed the negative, as above: "you are not liable if you
don't sign". It is not axiomatic so rewrite it as you have, in the
positive.

Obviously, if you don't sign you are "transparent" ;-)

Pls, ponder.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck

Dr.rer.nat. E. Gerck                        egerck@laser.cps.softex.br
http://novaware.cps.softex.br
P.O.Box 1201, CEP13001-970, Campinas-SP, Brazil  - Fax: +55-19-2429533