Persistent identities (was: Re: yet another <auth> type)

David Kemp's points (below) about persistent identities hits the nail
right on the head for me.  The PKI proposals that I've seen either don't
provide for a persistent identity (SPKI/SDSI), which makes key management
a real headache, or the persistent identity is too cumbersome and/or
dynamic (such as with X.500 DNs).

IMO for a PKI to be practical it should provide:

(a) Minimal person <-> key links (i.e. persistent identities) that won't
change every time the person gets a new job title or a haircut.  The PKI
should have mechanisms for handling key revocations and updates, such that
the (online) identity remains unchanged as much as possible across key
lifetimes.

(b) A simple way of attaching attributes of any kind to the persistent
identity.  I'd say SDSI does a fine job of this.  Note I said that the
attributes are attached to the identity and not, as in SDSI, to the key,
but I think SDSI can be easily tweaked to work with identities rather than
keys.

I've yet to see any concrete proposals for (a), though I've got some
half-formed ideas of my own.  I suspect that finding something that works
and is socailly acceptable to most people will prove difficult.

		Marc

        Marc Branchaud        	I'm looking for a full-time career,
       marcnarc@zoo.net       	and I'm willing to move almost any-
    www.zoo.net/~marcnarc/    	where.  You can see my CV online at
==============================	www.zoo.net/~marcnarc/Marc-CV.htm