RE: encoding: SPKI vs. SDSI

At 11:37 AM 3/10/97 -0500, David P. Kemp wrote:

	Philip DesAutels said to me that W3C had until recently believed the
	conventional wisdom that ASN.1 is too unweildy to use on lightweight
	devices, but that demonstrations of Microsoft's Authenticode technology
	on Windows CE (a lightweight version of MS Windows for Net PCs, if that
	can be imagined!) was convincing evidence to the contrary.

I think this depends on what one considers a "lightweight device" to be.

If you consider WinCE to be lightweight, sure. If you consider a smart card
to be lightweight, not.

Personally, I tend to the latter view.

	Jon

-----
Jon Callas                                         jon@pgp.com
Senior Security Architect                          555 Twin Dolphin Drive
Pretty Good Privacy, Inc.                          Suite 570
(415) 596-1960                                     Redwood Shores, CA 94065