From ???@??? Thu Jul 02 08:44:04 1998
From: Paul Leyland <pleyland@microsoft.com>
To: "'Carl Ellison'" <cme@acm.org>
Cc: "'spki@c2.net'" <spki@c2.net>
Subject: RE: http://techpolicy.lse.ac.uk/csrc/sig/lawsoc.html
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 01:18:56 -0700
Sender: owner-spki@c2.net

> From: Carl Ellison [mailto:cme@acm.org]
> At 03:42 AM 7/1/98 -0700, Paul Leyland wrote:
> >For a British lawyers' professional body's view on what
> should, should not
> >and might be in digital signature legislation, I'd recommend
> taking a look
> >at http://techpolicy.lse.ac.uk/csrc/sig/lawsoc.html
>
> Paul,
>
> 	this is a wonderful paper.  How was it received?

That's an ambiguous question.  I received it in a mail sent by Nicholas Bohm
to UKcrypto.  Somehow, I don't think that's what you meant 8-)

The other interpretation is: what did the community think of the paper?  I
can't really answer that one.  I like it, as it tallies with my views.  Much
the same paper was presented at the Scrambling for Safety conference in
London a month ago.  Judging by the questions and comments from the
audience, I'd say many people present also liked it.  On the other hand, the
Department of Trade and Industry are proposing legislation which seems to be
largely irrelevant and unnecessary if the lawyers are right.  On the third
hand, the legal systems in many European countries differ significantly to
British law, and the DTI's approach may be needed for consistent Europe-wide
applicability.  IANAL.

Paul