From: Perry E. Metzger
To: Alan Lloyd
Cc: spki@c2.net
Sent: 7/27/98 9:06:32 AM
Subject: Re: FW: comments on <draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-02.txt>

Alan Lloyd writes:
>  Let me explain something to this list which seems to be totally
missed.

No, it hasn't been missed.

As I've stated several times now, this argument has occurred before,
and there is no wish to have it again.

For the last time, please stop now.

Perry
From ???@??? Wed Aug 12 19:19:04 1998
From: Alan Lloyd <Alan.Lloyd@OpenDirectory.com.au>
To: "'Michael C. Richardson '" <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
Cc: "'spki@c2.org '" <spki@c2.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:47:44 +1000
Sender: owner-spki@c2.net

Micheal - thanks for the response - I will MOO a bit more

The text provided is sniped, because being involved with 509 for about
12 years - I have a rough idea how and why they are used...
The text below - is amazing - its security oriented which is good, but
it what is proposed is operationally undeployable and scaleable.

   The SPKI team directly addressed the issue of <name,key> bindings and
   realized that such certificates are of extremely limited use for
   trust management.  A keyholder's name is one attribute of the
   keyholder, but as can be seen in the list of needs in this document,
   a person's name is rarely of security interest.  A user of a
   certificate needs to know whether a given keyholder has been granted
   some specific authorization.

Can you tell me where you put these no-named key identifiers, how do i
find them, how do they relate to real life issues and EC, what are their
privileges and the roles of the people that use them, how are these
entities and the job they do and the authoriasations they have
represented.

I work on security systems including allied military infrastructure and
realise and it pontless designing doorlocks and mechanisms  that have no
doors, or doors without numbers or names on the front of them that one
can associate the door locks with.

PS how is the CA govenment PKI going - have they got that wrong in your
book.

  If you don't accept this point, then SPKI isn't for you, end of
discussion.

A simple PKI without the KI and user names is not for me or anyone I
know around this planet. Any way it is  THEORY document anyway.

bye
PS At least Bovines see the Udder side of life - reality :-)