From ???@??? Mon Jun 29 13:15:42 1998
From: "Phillip Hallam-Baker" <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
To: "Ed Gerck" <egerck@laser.cps.softex.br>,
        "Judie Mulholland" <judiemul@kc-inc.net>
Cc: <DoWneR@mail.dma.be>, <spki@c2.net>
Subject: RE: Final Year Thesis : SPKI
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:26:19 -0400
Sender: owner-spki@c2.net

> From: owner-spki@c2.net [mailto:owner-spki@c2.net]On Behalf Of Ed Gerck
> >On Sun, 28 Jun 1998 DoWneR@mail.dma.be wrote:
> >

> >> My name is Olivier Dellicour. I'm 24, I'm Belgian and I live in
> >> Brussels. I'm a Business Ingeneer student and like every students
> >> around the world I have to write a final year thesis. Mine is about
> >> electronic certification and SPKI. I have to compare SPKI
> >> certificate and its competitors (X.509, ...) and demonstrate that
> >> SPKI is better (at least try to !!!). As you can imagine, I'm not a
>
> Olivier:
>
> Comparing SPKI with X.509 is like comparing apples and speedboats.
>
> In spite of its name, SPKI is NOT a PKI and does not allow a PKI to
> be built with it. Neither with SDSI, in SPKI/SDSI.
>
> Further, SPKI addresses the question of "what" and only to the issuer
> -- while X.509 addresses "who" and "what" and not only to the issuer.
>
> Further, as a general rule, it is not advisable to set goals of what
> you want to demonstrate before studying the subjects -- because the
> subjects may not be even comparable, as the case at hand..

Actually for a final year project thesis, impartial, disinterested
research is probably not expected. Being able to put together
a coherent argument on a technical topic is probably the most that
is hoped for at undergraduate level.

Better for what? If you want to deploy an ecommerce solution today
the X.509 is the only PKI in which the legal and technical issues
have been fully addressed. If on the other hand you wish to perform
original research then it is sometimes better to start from a clean
slate.

In point of fact X.509 and SPKI may well converge at some future point.
X.509 has an extension mechanism which allows X.509v3 certificates to
be issued with SPKI semantics. Provided these extensions are marked
critical there is no conflict. This does not address the ASN.1 issue
but syntax only affects those writing code for parsers.

I would not suggest that someone who is not a 100% tech guy embark upon
such a project however. Comparing X.509 with SPKI is unlikely to be
usefull without an understanding of the underlying technology. A more
feasible project might well be to focus on the business and legal
issues. For example there is an established legal infrastructure for
X.509 based on the use of a Certificate Practices Statement and
Relying party agreement. How does the SPKI model relate to such
constructs? What liability and risk models are practical? What role
is there for trusted third parties and what business models are
practical?

		Phill