From ???@??? Mon Jun 29 16:43:29 1998
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:56:46 -0300 (EST)
From: Ed Gerck <egerck@laser.cps.softex.br>
To: Carl Ellison <cme@cybercash.com>
cc: Lynn.Wheeler@firstdata.com, Judie Mulholland <judiemul@kc-inc.net>,
        DoWneR@mail.dma.be, spki@c2.net
Subject: Re: Final Year Thesis : SPKI
Sender: owner-spki@c2.net
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Carl Ellison wrote:

>IMHO, one of the most important contributions of the SPKI work has been the
>discovery that the old idea of global name (DN) as identifier (upon which
>X.500/X.509/PEM was originally based) has been shown to be seriously flawed,
>not just philosophically but via concrete security flaws.

Carl:

I do not want to beat an old horse twice ;-)  but what you affirmed
above was denied even in this list.

First, the DN scheme of X.500 was self-abandoned perhaps +5 years ago
in favor of an ad hoc X.500-like scheme which allowed CAs to make
X.509 work. The reasons why it was abandoned are several: it was
never fully defined, it was never well-defined to beguin with, etc.
But that has nothing to do with the X.509 issues of today -- which
does not use X.500 as you would take it out of the box (which box?).

Second, the DN scheme that the CAs actually implemented in order to
proceed with X.509 had its positive and negative points. But they are
not "security flaws". Rather, they are "privacy flaws".  Quite
different points. I fail to see one "security flaw" in X.509 name
scheme.

Third, the original name scheme that SPKI/SDSI used did not work
because collisions would quickly surface. Then, the new SPKI/SDSI
name scheme that was presented this year is not without problems
either and quieting that will not make it sound.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck
Dr.rer.nat. E. Gerck                     egerck@novaware.cps.softex.br
http://novaware.cps.softex.br