Digital Signature laws

>Subject:  Re: RE: Final Year Thesis : SPKI

Hi Bob.

At 12:32 AM 7/1/98 -0600, Bob Jueneman wrote:
>Oh, well, at least we have fun.  No personal insult intended.

and of course, none intended on my side either.

>I would argue that the Utah and similar laws were really intended to
>protect and facilitate business to business interchange, including
>interactions that were not directly financial in nature, such as contracts,
>amendments, invoices, receipts, etc.

I would agree that that is the intention of such laws.

I would also argue that this is misguided, to say the least.  It seems to be
a result of lawyers, law makers and companies (CAs) rushing off to implement
something that was initially just idle speculation by cryptographers in
technical papers.  There is no reason to believe a cryptographer understands
business.  I should know :)

What I discovered when I actually started talking to real businesses who do
real EDI is that there is always a paper contract before people start doing
purchase orders and shipments of goods.  In that paper contract, there is
plenty of room to establish one another's keys.  Therefore, for real EDI,
CAs are irrelevant -- and in fact reduce security by adding a link in the
process that can go bad.

In the glorious future I see before us, with relationships forming on the
net rather than in 3D space, there will be some bits-only version of this
process.  However, that process does not involve a CA and especially not an
ID certificate.  The use of a name as identifier is limited to small
communities.  Furthermore, it's not a name businesses care about when
deciding whether or not to enter into a contract with someone else.  They
care about past performance, financial stability, quality of products, etc.
These are facts that can be certified by digital signature, in the bits-only
world, but the authorities on such facts will not be commercial CAs [unless
you decide to defend a pre-decided announcement that CAs are necessary and
so call any of these intermediaries "CAs"].

The details of how business relationships form will be a fascinating study.
I expect Organizational Behavior students to spend years figuring that out.
Mapping that to cyberspace will be another interesting challenge.  I can't
say offhand how it will all turn out, but I have my guesses.  Those guesses
are flimsy enough that I won't share them on this list.

In short, I see the rush to establishing CAs as an interference in this
process.  It does not address what really needs to be accomplished.  It
follows the assumption of a handful of cryptographers (starting with Diffie
and Hellman) who used improper analogies (the phone book) and claimed that
with that taken care of, all introduction requirements were fulfilled.  I
know, they didn't say that explicitly, but that's how people took what was
said -- and then came this rush to X.500 (that failed), X.509 (that is an
albatross), Dig Sig laws (that are just waiting to cause trouble and don't
speak to business needs), commercial CAs (desperate to make money somehow,
even though the initial product (ID cert) is valueless), ....

It's interesting times.

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison       cme@acm.org    http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|    PGP: 08FF BA05 599B 49D2  23C6 6FFD 36BA D342                 |
+-Officer, officer, arrest that man. He's whistling a dirty song.--+