Re: The role of trust in certification

This debate regarding "I use because I trust" vs "I trust because I used" is
interesting, but any hopes of resolution can only occur in a theoretical
arena.

In actuality, I feel we all do both, all the time.  For most things in life,
it goes more like "I trust because I need, and have no more information."
Then "It works, so I trust more, so I use more, so I trust more..."

In the realm of certification and PKI, this discussion can only be of value
if concrete examples are offered.  Then we all have something a bit more
definitive to shoot at;)

Hoping for some good targets;)

___Tony___

Tony Bartoletti                                             LL
SPI-NET GURU                                             LL LL
Computer Security Technology Center                   LL LL LL
Lawrence Livermore National Lab                       LL LL LL
PO Box 808, L - 303                                   LL LL LLLLLLLL
Livermore, CA 94551-9900                              LL LLLLLLLL
email: azb@llnl.gov   phone: 510-422-3881             LLLLLLLL

Follow-Ups: References: