Re: on the nature of trust

>On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Tony Bartoletti wrote:
>
>-> Ed,
>->
>-> I do believe that your definition of Trust (in the sense analogous to
>-> Information Theory) is the most elegant and useful one, to repeat:
>->
>-> > Trust: "Trust is that which is essential to a communication channel
but
>-> >         which cannot be transferred from a source to a destination
using
>-> >         that channel"

This definition would apply equally well to my modem.

Also consider the following thought experiment. I establish an email
correspondence with a person who I have never met before. Over the
course of ten years my only means of communication with this person
is through email. Is is possible to establish a property that corresponds
to our term trust as a result?

            Phill