Re: [E-CARM] PKI, CAs, TTPs &c.

Lets think about why compromise of a root key is bad. It allows you to
create entities which are not bonifide and commit all sorts of fraud
(and if you know its compromised then all issued certificates are
invalid). If instead you keeep a list of public keys in a secure
environment then there are also risks, while it could be argued that
they are less. If someone was able to steal the secret key in the first
scenario then it must also be possible for them to break in and insert
new public keys in the list and commit fraud that way. What you have
lost is the flexibility which a certificate offers. i.e. use in a
distributed manner.

Ian.

+
  >  +                http://mail.structuredarts.com/cert-talk
+

---+

Ian Littler
Product Manager, Certification Authority
Telstra
Tel: +61-2-99033540, Fax: +61-2-99033466
email: ilittler@nibupls1.telstra.com.au