Re: central key generation and backup

Carl Ellison wrote:

> At 06:37 PM 3/27/98 +0100, Paul-Andri Pays wrote:
> >Maybe one day "card personalization"
> >will take place on the consumer workstation, but we better be patient :-)
>
> We security engineers are in a position to make that happen, if anyone is.

It's been done. Both the SmartKey and SmartCard products from
 Datakey do signing key generation at the users workstation,
 not at the CA, or any other central "card personalization
 station".

The HP Praesidium equivalent to this, however, requires a
  specialized, expensive "card printer/personalization workstation".

Which would you buy?