Re: [E-CARM] PKI, CAs, TTPs &c.

Tony Bartoletti writes:
> John Lowry writes:
> >	Saying that my key is my name is equivalent to
> >	saying that my pen is my name.  This is nonsense.
>
> Unfortunately, saying "My name is Me" is also nonsense.  So what is me?

Names don't matter. I think that's what we've all been saying for a
long while. I think answering "What is Me" also doesn't matter.

Saying "my key is my name" is certainly nonsense, but saying "the
entity (be it person, group, or alien from Alpha Centauri) that we
will allow to log on to this computer is the entity that knows the
private key associated with this public key, and can prove it by
signing something" is perfectly sensible. No need for names, or even
for anything other than a simple operational definition.

After all, names are worthless. People change them, people have more
than one of them, they aren't unique, and they aren't even
interesting.

But we've gone over this about two thousand times, haven't we?

Perry

Follow-Ups: References: