RE: FW: comments on <draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-02.txt>

 Let me explain something to this list which seems to be totally missed.

A certficate is a digital form of ones key, ones identity and ones
privileges within a domain as defined by the key issuer of that domain.

Its like my amex works in an amex domain, my visa in the visa domain, mt
qantas club in the quantas club domain, etc.. ie a certficate is a
currency for a service within a domain.

The government departments want to manage people electronically to
reduce the cost of operation, thats like amex asking one to have a
credit card to do electronic transactions instead of carrying cash
arround.

ie there is a component of "tracking" and loss of "privicay but that is
offset by choice for the cashflow, credit and billing conveneience.

The governments of this world want to provide their staff WHERE REQUIRED
a token that permits them to do business on behalf of the govenment - so
that things can be tracked and managed.
The same will apply to the customers of the government WHERE
APPROPRIATE.. And the govt will set up PKI functions for its domains of
certificates - not for everything in every context.
So one should not condemn functions such as X.500/X.509 and PKIs with
the policy on how its used. Its usage has advantages and disadvantages -

But saying a govt card will be used to track the web pages you read is
far fetched.. Just read those without naming yourself - thats all.

Hope this helps.
regards alan