Re: Card Not Present, was Re: FW: comments

On 27 Jul 1998, EKR wrote:

>Ed Gerck <egerck@laser.cps.softex.br> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>>
>> >The merchant is not expected to have expertise in checking signatures
>> >but if a question arises they had better have the signed reciept if they
>> >want to be paid.
>> >

>> And which must reasonably resemble the signature specimen in the
>> card.
>This is clearly false, since the merchant doesn't have the
>card and there's no way for the Issuer to know what's on the
>card. And in the case of unauthorized use, with high probability
>the card is no longer in the hands of the authorized user,
>so there's no way to enforce this check.

This discussion is not relevant to SPKI and continues off-list.
Further, it is being forwarded to those that were interested but were
just lurking. If you want to see if Eric is right, pls send me a
private e-mail and I will forward the current thread. Or, go overseas
and buy yourself a lunch or tank your car.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck

Dr.rer.nat. E. Gerck                     egerck@novaware.cps.softex.br
http://novaware.cps.softex.br
-- Internet saves trees, WebBoy UMC saves PCs, you save time and money