Re: New drafts just submitted

At 12:09 PM 10/27/98 -0800, Bill Frantz wrote:
>Carl - I have had a chance to read thru the theory document.  It is the
>clearest exposition I have yet seen of the ideas.  Congratulations!  I
>particularly liked the summary of the delegation discussions.
>
>One typeo, and one gratuitous comment:
>
>>6.3 5-tuple Reduction Rules
>>
>>   The two 5-tuples:
>>
>>   <I1,S1,D1,A1,V1> + <I2,S2,D2,A2,V2>
>>
>>   yield
>>
>>      <I1,S2,D2,AIntersect(A1,A2),VIntersect(V1,V2)>
>>
>>   provided
>>
>>    the two intersections succeed,
>>
>>    I1 = S2
>>
>>   and
>>
>>    D1 = TRUE
>>

>>   If S1 is a threshold subject, there is a slight modification to this
>>   rule, as described below in section 6.3.3.
>
>Shouldn't it say "S1 = I2" instead of "I1 = S2"?

Duh!

Thanks.

>>7.6 Key Revocation Service

>>   As the world moves to having all machines on-line all the time, this
>>   might be the user's machine.  However, until then -- and maybe even
>>   after then -- the user might want to hire some service to perform
>>   this function.  That service could run a 24x7 manned desk, to receive
>>   phone calls reporting loss of a key.  That authority would not have
>>   the power to generate a new key for the user, only to revoke a
>>   current one.
>
>Unless authorization for the revocation is carefully controlled, this is a
>wonderful opportunity for a denial of service attack.  I actually had the
>joy of being able to say to a person who had just described how their
>(mainframe) system disabled accounts after 3 invalid passwords, "Oh, how
>nice.  What is your user name?"

Yes -- if you don't passphrase (or voiceprint) protect that revocation
authorization.

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison         cme@acm.org     http://www.pobox.com/~cme |
|    PGP: 08FF BA05 599B 49D2  23C6 6FFD 36BA D342                 |
+--Officer, officer, arrest that man. He's whistling a dirty song.-+