RE: Resolving groups?

Gerald,

	that is a good question.

(subject (name (hash md5 |abc...|) fred sam george mary))

reduces to

(subject (name (hash md5 |def...|) sam george mary))

if there is a

(cert
  (issuer (name (hash md5 |abc...|) fred))
  (subject (hash md5 |def...|))
)

If there are multiple such certificates, then there are multiple reductions.

The machinery is straight-forward.

The semantics is a different issue.  For this to really make sense, defining
group, one would need some convention about name assignments.  Such
conventions
are not part of SDSI or SPKI thinking, but they're always possible (just as
the
PGP documentation points out that one can always create a signing hierarchy
using PGP's key signing).

For example, one might have a group named Senior_VPs and then refer to:

  (subject (name (hash md5 |abc...|)
            Senior_VPs Personal_assistant))

to refer to those assistants.

I can imagine issuing such a certificate, granting some authorization, and
then
sending out a note to all the Senior_VPs with that certificate -- for them
pass along to relevant persons, if they so choose.  In the process of
passing
the certificate along, they might also need to create the appropriate name
certificate(s).

I don't know if this makes sense as a way authorization certificates will be
used, but it's a possibility.

Thanks for asking the question.  I will look for a way to work this into the
docs -- or, if not the RFCs, then some paper on the topic.

 - Carl