Re: X.509 ACs vs. SPKI?

A lot of SPKI concepts can be found in PGPticket

  ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moscaritolo-mione-pgpticket-01.txt

     OpenPGP specifies message formats and certificate formats used for
    exchange of encrypted and/or authenticated objects. This document
    discusses methods of extending OpenPGP's message formats to support
    an authorization system. This system would use public key
    cryptography to authenticate a user to a server and establish the
    user's access permissions. The concept is that the user acquires a
    ticket signed by some issuer that specifies what they are entitled to
    do. That ticket is then submitted to a server. The server uses a
    challenge/response method to verify that the holder really has the
    matching private key. The server then allows the access specified.

On 5/12/99, Men from Black Helicopters forced "Ari Huttunen" to write :

>Hi,
>
>Has someone made a comparison of what can / cannot be done
>in X.509 Attribute Certificates (draft-ietf-pkix-ac509prof-00.txt)
>that can be done with SPKI certificates? Would there be some ideas
>in SPKI that could be used to enhance X.509 ACs?
>
>My aim here is very pragmatic. I don't observe SPKI as going
>forward, so I would like X.509 ACs to be able to do as much as
>possible...
>
>For the sake of conversation, here's a proposal how SPKI certificates
>could be put inside X.509 ACs. I certainly do not claim that this
>works as-is, but it might be made to work.
>
>1) The server checking X.509 ACs is also acting as the CA that
>   issues those ACs.
>
>2) The SPKI certificate security fields are mapped as follows:
>   Issuer = refers to the X.509 certificate of the server.
>   Subject = refers to the X.509 certificate of the client.
>   Delegation = ..as in SPKI..
>   Authority = ..as in SPKI..
>   Validity = attrCertValidityPeriod
>
>Cheers,
>
>   Ari Huttunen
>
>Attachment converted: G3:Ari.Huttunen.vcf (TEXT/R*ch) (00038B7C)

Vinnie Moscaritolo
http://www.vmeng.com/vinnie/
PGP: 3F903472C3AF622D5D918D9BD8B100090B3EF042

Those who hammer their swords into plows,
will plow for those who don't."