Re: Draft Charter IPSEC WG

The problem with setting up a key management working group now is that
the requirements for it aren't clear.  Just to pick an example out
of a hat, electronic mail requires a very different protocol than
does, say, SNMP, where a network management center will rarely try
to control a random network element that they didn't install.  Even
if public key technology is needed in that case -- and I can imagine
some circumstances where it might be useful, though not mandatory --
one certainly doesn't need the full-blown signature overhead.

Let's figure out what types of keys IPSEC, or CAT, or PEM, or whatever
need.  Then we'll know what to ask of a key management protocol.

		--Steve Bellovin