Re: Key Managment Query/Comments...

SNMP has an overriding requirement that it rely on as few working
elements of the network as possible. Basically, the only things
that SNMP relies on is that packets can (probably) get from here to
there. SNMP is to be as independent from other protocols -- especially
the "infrastructure" protocols such as name services, key distribution,
time services, and so on -- as possible.

Therefore, SNMP does not now, and probably will not in the future, rely
upon any "external" key-distribution protocol.

The reason is simple. The purpose of the SNMP is to detect, diagnose,
and fix network failures. If the key-distribution-protocol fails, how
can SNMP be used to detect, diagnose, and fix the key-distribution
protocol? Similarly, if the SNMP manager/agent can not reach a
key-distribution server to, e.g., validate keys or tickets or whatever,
then SNMP can not be used to fix other things as well.

--
Frank Kastenholz
FTP Software