Re: SIPP and SKIP. 2 subjects.

>From ipsec-request@ans.net Mon Aug  1 11:35:07 1994
> Explicitly assigning a security identifier is a
>cheap operation. Once assigned, a particular SAID might identify all
>subsequent packets bearing it as SKIP-style "implicit key exchange"
>encrypted packets. However, I'm very reluctant to support use of the
>four bit version field (which in the draft I am defining as an Must Be
>Zero field, at least for the moment) for this purpose, since it seems
>that the same purpose can be cheaply achieved without using the
>version space. Using the version number seems to just be a way to
>end-run around assigning a SAID for the purpose, which, as I said, is
>cheap.

Yes, as I mentioned at the presentation, my proposal was to assign
a few SAIDs for use by SKIP. This seems like the best way to
do things. I am contemplating three or four SAIDs at the moment,
one for default encryption context, one (or two) for integrity-only
and another for supporting ephemeral SKIP contexts.

Ashar.