Re: IPSEC SMIB

Jim,

  You are worrying about a non-existent problem.  Everyone is telling you
this.  Please listen to our words.  This is not a problem.  IANA
registration has worked well for over a decade.  I am aware of
ZERO problems during this time period.

  IMHO, it is NOT appropriate for an IETF standards-track protocol
spec to contain any kind of "policy".  Protocol specifications should
specify protocols.  Period.  The current wording requiring registration
with IANA is completely correct and completely consistent with other
existing IETF specifications.  See the MIME documentation requiring
registration of character sets for another worked example.

  Please lets concentrate on specifying the protocol.

Thanks very much,

Ran
atkinson@itd.nrl.navy.mil