Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipp-ap-04.txt

Folks,

While I appreciate Bill's vote of confidence, it might be good if the
draft were _at least_ thoroughly reviewed and debugged before we
turned it loose on the world.  Experimental IPv6 implementations of
the earlier draft exist, but have not had interoperability testing yet.
The changes between drafts are small but important and are largely
based on implementation experience.

In particular, performance issues remain with the use of keyed MD5.
An untuned implementation of MD5 on a fast 64-bit commercial RISC
processor only calculates at 20 Mbps; smaller and slower processors
would not go so fast.  This does not bode particularly well for
networks using FDDI or other high-speed technologies.  A commercially
strong but less computationally expensive algorithm would be more
desirable than MD5, IMHO.  I don't know of any such algorithms --
suggestions are solicited.

Ran
atkinson@itd.nrl.navy.mil

Follow-Ups: References: