Clarification: NRP's licensing status & IKMP

I wish to clarify a few points about NRP's licensing status and its relation
to IKMP proposals, as a response to several questions from Paul and others:

1. NRP is not a proposal for IKMP, was just mentioned as something people
implementing security may want to look at. NRP (Network Randomization
Protocol) is a tool to provide proactively-secure randomness, so it is
relevant to IKMP just as it is relevant to other security protocols/systems.

2. Warning: modifications to NRP must be made available to IBM (i.e. this is
fine for making other public domain stuff but problematic for products).
This is similar to the status of many other `public domain' sw, e.g. RSAREF,
PGP, ...

3. IBM is not necessarily giving free use of its copyright/patent protected
property for distribution of deriviatives of NRP. (However, experimental use
is allowed - this is a general IBM policy.) I expect that we would
be able to give free use for `reasonable deriviatives', i.e. sw that does
not extend NRP to completely new functions...

(There are patent applications which I believe cover NRP but they are really
targeted at more advanced functions - NRP stuff should be for free)

4. We'll  be happy to work with implementors that need changes to these terms
however let's do it off list since NRP is really a side issue for this WG (see
point 1 above).

5. NRP is fully exportable.

We are working on a new release of NRP where we would have `tested portability'
and implement local sampling.

Best, Amir

------- End of Forwarded Message