Naming 2: untrustable hosts

The IPv6 specs say that the potential for authentication is mandatory.
The draft API spec (in a concept I didn't challenge...) stated that
both services and systems could impose a mandatory minimum security
level.  Presumably, these services or hosts would not talk to a peer if
it could not negotiate a key with that level of security.  What happens
with inherently untrustable machines, such as shared PCs in a
university lab?  Are these machines to be barred from some class of
Internet services?

One reason for demanding authentication, even at the coarse granularity
of a host, is so that you know who should be held accountable.  It
seems, then, that such machines could have a key if the key was bound
to the person using it at the time.  In other words, a Kerberos-like
(or more precisely, an Athena-like, since it fits the Athena philosophy
of whom you authenticate) name of ``user@domain'' might be used here,
whereas a timesharing machine or a PC used by just one person would
have a key bound to ``domain'' or maybe ``@domain''.  And this in turn
imposes some requirements on the forms of names that the key management
protocol must deal with.

I realize that one objection to this proposal is the notion that that
user-granularity security is (to quote the response to a previous message
of mine) ``an explicit non-goal''.  But I don't see any other way to
handle inherently untrustable machines.

		--Steve Bellovin