Re: WG last call for IPv4 MD5

> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
> Yes! I object to giving Burt credit for Ron Rivest's hash function, and
> I object to the misspelling of his last name!

Sorry, name spelling of an unfamiliar person as it passes from my ears
to my fingers isn't one of my strong points.  And, I could have screwed
up the interpretation.  Maybe Rivest was at the meeting, too.

> Other than that, no objections; if the commentary is true I'm not
> about to argue with Kaliski, although frankly having glanced at it I'm
> not sure why MD5(MD5(text),key) would be stronger than MD5(text+key)
> given MD5's way of folding in new text into a hash. It would be nice
> to get some comments straight from the horse's mouth, as it
> were. Anyone remember Burt Kaliski's email address?

Well, in his message last month (forwarded by Housley), where he talked
about some of these issues, it was burt@rsa.com.

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu