Re: (IPng) Re: Proposed message on perfect forward security

Ted,

>Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 17:50:00 +0500
>From: Theodore Ts'o <tytso@MIT.EDU>

>	My understanding is that the common, required implementation of
>key-exchange which everyone must implement in the interest of
>interoperability, has been decided, via an open process, to use
>out-of-band keying.  With this decision already made, unless there are
>some extreme, extenuating circumstances which would call for us to
>revisit that decision, I would think that it would be counter-productive
>for people to continually be insisting that this decision be re-opened,
>and re-examined, over and over again, ad naseum.

Besides the in-band/out-band discussion.  We have input to Ran regarding
other parts of the specifications from Phil Rogaway, Dean Throop, and
Andy Bayerl that will affect the specification, I would like to see
to whether the specs are ready for proposed standard before Danvers.
I have not decided in my mind if they may cause a change to the
architecture, which Ran needs to give us his view of that set of input.
Whether it affects keying I am not sure, but I think not?

I do not think its counter-productive to implement the specs as they
exist today, and because of interoperability testing, cause a change
if necessary to the architecture or to the method or methods that can be
implemented for customers who want to use IPv6 Security.

/jim