Re: Bellovin's and Ahar's attacks

> I am somewhat uncomfortable with your proposition :

> >  suggest that once we've done that, per-session (or per-user) keys are not
> >  required as long as we re-key frequently.  The re-keying defeats Rogoway's
> >  attack as effectively as per-session keying.
>
> It assumes that an intruder cannot quickly capture and replay traffic. If he
> is doing this manually, then this is probably a safe assumption. However, in
> high value applications, there is no reason to believe an intruder will not
> spend the resources to write a program that detects a potentially valuable
> stream of target traffic, coordinates with an end system program and
> replay's it according to Phil's and Ashar's suggestion.

A lot depends on our assumptions.  For TCP, it's probably feasible, so
long as rekeying occurs more frequently than the TIMEWAIT period.  For
UDP, there's no mandatory dead time in the protocol.  I strongly suspect
that we absolutely must use very rapid key changes, though -- per user
(though with AH+ESP for some services), per packet (a la SKIP), or per
socket.  Nothing less seems to guard adequately against both replay attacks
and the CBC cut-and-paste attack that I outlined.