Re: Bellovin's and Ahar's attacks

Mark,

I don't quite understand your suggestion :

>  1. If the IPSEC processing is happening within the destination system,
>      then it should rekey every time a socket is closed.  This ensures that
>      any subsequent user of the same port will get a different key.

IPSEC processing will happen both on the source and destination systems. The
destination can't rekey unilaterally, since the source would still be using
the old key. So there has to be synchronization between the source and
destination when rekeying occurs. Its been known for a long time that
TCP connections could support rekeying when they open a connection. However,
UDP doesn't support the notion of a connection, so rekeying UDP end-points
requires some external synchronization.

Dan