Re: Bellovin's and Ahar's attacks

Mark,

I'm not sure I agree with your assertion that :

>  The destination "owns" the SPI and security association, so it certainly can
>  initiate a new key-management exchange to tell the source to start using a new
>  SPI and new key.

In most models I have seen, the source contacts the destination through a
key management protocol (either directly or using a support daemon on its
machine) to establish an SPI. Once that is completed, there may be no
way (short of something like the DELETE-SA in-band message that Russ Housley
mentioned, which is used in IEEE 802.10c) for the destination to tell the
source to start using a new SPI and key. Use of a DELETE-SA like message
(using ICMP?) hasn't been discussed until very recently. If that is what
you are proposing, then it needs to be discussed in some detail.

Dan