Re: IBM US Patent #5,148,479

Ran Atkinson says:
> Speaking as an individual, I wish IBM would follow the lead of Sun
> Microsystems and simply put their patent into the Public Domain.
>
> Those would be reasonable terms for everyone and we could get on
> with our work without further legal distractions.

I've already managed to request a copy for my company of the IBM
document assuring that they will not invoke their patent rights
(largely because I plan on early implementation and don't want to have
to think about the situation) but quite frankly I agree -- I don't see
why they don't just follow Sun's lead.

The IBM attorney invoked some sort of mysterious difficulty with the
situation, but dedicating patents to the public domain is quite a
routine matter so I don't see any legal obstacle there.

Perry

Follow-Ups: References: