Re: NSA denies our 3DES license

>Can RC5 parameters be set so that it reaches 3DES strength, and if so, if
>the keying protocol allows for full parameter control, might NSA do the same
>with RC5 as it is doing to 3DES?  Or specify that the keying protocol lock
>down a certain set of RC5 parameters?

RC5 is a stream cipher that allows for variable length keys.  I would guess
that RC5 using 40-bit (or less) keys would be exportable, but greater than
40 bits would not.  That's what's been done for other ciphers that employ
variable length keys.

Derrell Piper   | piper@tgv.com      | 408/457-5384
TGV, Inc.       | 101 Cooper Street  | Santa Cruz, CA 95060 USA

Follow-Ups: References: