Re: NSA denies our 3DES license

At 11:20 PM 3/18/96 -0800, Phil Karn wrote:

>So there you have it. NSA makes good on its threat to ANSI X9 that
>triple DES would not be exportable.
>
>This was a case where keeping strong crypto out of the hands of
>terrorists and unfriendly governments was clearly not at issue. It
>dealt strictly with the ability of a US corporation to defend its
>international operations against against industrial espionage. Or,
>perhaps more to the point, espionage by the NSA.

This raises an interesting question WRT RC5 and smb's note.

Can RC5 parameters be set so that it reaches 3DES strength, and if so, if
the keying protocol allows for full parameter control, might NSA do the same
with RC5 as it is doing to 3DES?  Or specify that the keying protocol lock
down a certain set of RC5 parameters?

OOOps, what have I done?  The NSA watchers of this list (not meaning Mark
and his fellows, but the 'other side') way now go off and have to figure
this all out  :)

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212