Re: moving forward ?

Ran,

I just called the NSA on SHA export... both MD5 and SHA are both "export
controlled", but they are both "under Department of Commerce jurisdiction".

Hash algorithms can be readily exported.  SHA and MD5 are treated the same for
US export considerations.

I'd recommend a change from MD5 to SHA ...

Paul

Paul Lambert                     Director of Security Products
Oracle Corporation                       Phone: (415) 506-0370
500 Oracle Parkway, Box 659410             Fax: (415) 413-2963
Redwood Shores, CA  94065               palamber@us.oracle.com

-- BEGIN included message

Umm.  There is one small problem with SHA-1.  The FIPS PUB 180-1
(http://129.6.52.11/fips/fip180-1.txt) indicates that SHA-1
is export-controlled under Commerce Department rules.  MD5
is believed not to be export controlled.  This is an issue
in many vendors' minds.

As long as we use HMAC, I'm indifferent about MD5 or SHA-1.

I'm still not seeing anything resembling consensus on key management.
We earlier put SKIP into the RFC publication queue for "Experimental"
status (it was delayed by the March issuance of "IAB Official Protocols",
which caused a backlog at the RFC Editor).  Bill Simpson plans to
put out Photuris as Experimental eventually.  I'm not sure what
the status is with ISAKMP and Oakley.  I'll ping the folks back east
and check...

Ran
rja@cisco.com

--