Re: Whatever happend to compression?

>There's no application-layer compression to speak of in:

	http
True, though most HTML documents transferred with HTTP aren't particularly
large. GIF and JPEGs transferred with HTTP are already compressed.

	pop
	smtp

I've been saying for some time that these ought to be replaced with a
"mailbag" protocol which would make life for road warriors much more
pleasant.

	telnet

This is hard to compress since the packets are already so small to
begin with, and the traffic is fairly low speed anyway.

I'm not disputing the usefulness of compression below the application
layer, but I do think that the payback may not be as great as you
might think.

Phil

Follow-Ups: References: