Re: UUNET Network Encryption Patents

A paper of mine might be relevant:

	%A S.M. Bellovin
	%T Pseudo-Network Drivers and Virtual Networks
	%P 229-244
	%I USENIX
	%B USENIX Conference Proceedings
	%D January 22-26, 1990
	%C Washington, D.C.
	%W AT&T Bell Laboratories

It's available as ftp://ftp.research.att.com/dist/smb/pnet.ext.ps.Z.
The part of interest is the discussion of the ``Greyer'' encryption
system (which I never actually built, though at the time I'd intended
to).  The paper speaks of using the routing table (i.e., the destination
address) to send packets for particular destinations to what we'd now
call a tunnel driver; the packets would then be encrypted and reinjected.

My design was very consciously modeled on both BLACKER and SP3, and both
designs are cited in the bibliography.

I'll say more after I've read the claims in the UUNET patents.