Re:

At 12:12 PM 8/19/96 -0400, ipsec-request@neptune.tis.com wrote:

>To: "Mitchell C. Nelson" <nelson@mcn.netsec.com>

I'm getting these messages rather wierdly this morning, is anyone else???

>Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:02:16 -0400
>From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
>>
>> There is no concept of "user" at the IP layer (i.e. the network layer).
>
>You seem to have missed the point, which is that IPSEC has this notion
>of "security association" (actually, now its called "Security
>Parameters" and has the associated "Security Parameters Index").
>
>Why don't you go through the archives instead of making guesses about
>what you think IPSEC does?

Perry, people should not have to 'read the archives' for so basic a concept.
Maybe it really is too obscure in the architecture RFC.  Going to have to
reread it  :(

Yes, Mitchell, IPsec has a concept of a user.  This is for setting up
security associations between two IP addresses, potentially at the transport
layer (rather than as a tunnel).

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212