Re: SKIP Design & Applicability Statement

Rich,

>From:     Rich Skrenta
>> While I do understand Sun's investment in SKIP, please be cautious in the
>> posting of material that might be misconstrued as marketing material.
>
>No one that I'm aware of has misconstrued the new applicability statement
>as marketing material.  It has, after all, nothing to do with our current
>product offerings, but is solely about the SKIP protocol itself.  It
>should apply to any implementation of SKIP, whether developed by Sun or
>by any of our competitors.

Perhaps, but so many postings on the "benefits" of a proposal could appear
self serving.

>From:     Rich Skrenta
>The fact that the SKIP camp is not willing to open up ...

Your many postings to this list may not be helping to advocate SKIP.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Lambert                     Director of Security Products
Oracle Corporation               Phone:         (415) 506-0370
500 Oracle Parkway, Box 659410     Fax:         (415) 633-2963
Redwood Shores, CA  94065       E-Mail: palamber@us.oracle.com
"Secure Jobs"  ->  send resumes to: palamber@us.oracle.com

-- BEGIN included message

> This was not a request for more SKIP information to be posted.

Apologies for the misunderstanding; as the request made its way to me, I
understood it to mean that you had never seen the applicability statement
that Ashar had written (at your request), and that we should provide
this.  Since Ashar had recently added to his statement, it seemed like a
good time to send it out.

> While I do understand Sun's investment in SKIP, please be cautious in the
> posting of material that might be misconstrued as marketing material.

No one that I'm aware of has misconstrued the new applicability statement
as marketing material.  It has, after all, nothing to do with our current
product offerings, but is solely about the SKIP protocol itself.  It
should apply to any implementation of SKIP, whether developed by Sun or
by any of our competitors.

> I did call Glenn Scott (of Sun) and strongly encouraged the posting of a
> statement from Sun on the licensing and applicability of the "new" Sun
> patent that makes broad claims on IPsec related technology.

I believe that an official statement regarding this new patent is working
its way through legal here and should be forthcoming.

-- END included message