Re: compression and encryption

I generally agree with Steve's analysis showing the intractability of
doing compression at the IPSEC layer. Especially with the widespread
use of application-level compression in the Internet, the lack of
compression in IPSEC just doesn't strike me as a serious problem.

I think VJ header compression is not nearly as important as once was,
for several reasons:

1. Van originally designed his scheme when he had a 2400bps dialup
modem and read his netnews over a telnet session. Today if you have
14.4kb/s, you're behind the curve.

2. Many of the things you used to do over a telnet/rlogin type session
(where header overhead is most significant) are now done with
intelligent local agents. Examples include email, netnews and web
surfing.  Most of these agents speak various client/server protocols
over the wire with much larger average packet sizes as compared to
character-at-a-time telnet. This makes header overhead much less
significant.

So while there's no reason to take out VJ header compression now that it
exists, I no longer consider it essential.

Phil

Follow-Ups: References: