RE: compression and encryption

On Thursday, November 14, 1996 7:40 AM, Michael Richardson[SMTP:mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca] wrote:
@ > In my opinion, I think that depends on how you define "integrated".
@ >
@ > If everyone assumes that the flat addressing and equal peer model
@ > of the Internet is the only way to scale the system, then I would
@ > agree with you.
@
@   It is the most democratic and the hardest to regulate and thus
@ the safest from the influence of political and financial powers.

Yes, and that same attribute can be enjoyed by the outer layers.
Just because there is a Legacy Core, control does not, naturally,
implode into the center.

@   No matter what the "core" does there are those of us that will
@ stick to the tools we can control rather recreate the telephone
@ system. There is a group of us in Ottawa that is trying to wein our
@ community network away from the telephone system to wireless technology.
@

Yes, in an ideal world, the core is optical or wireless or a combination
of the two, and there is very little there. I would offer that the current
core is only scaffolding to be used to provide a place to "stand" while
the next layers are built. Once the next layers are worked out, the
core can be phased out and eventually removed.

Imagine taking a ballon and covering it with wet plaster. Once the
plaster drys, you can stick a pin in the balloon and poof, the core
disappears, but the plaster remains.

Once you have that shell structure, then you continue to build
outward, not inward. Optical sensors can be drilled down through
the thin plaster to be able to "see" all of the other sites being
built on the other side of the plaster shell.

Just think, if the Earth were built that way, you might have a nice
line-of-sight connection to Australia or an Island in the Caribbean.
As it stands now, you still have to contend with gravity and the
shape and structure of the Earth. Of course, if we could all just
figure out how to achieve a low orbit with wireless connections
between the sites, then the Earth could be turned into a nature
preserve where we vacation when we are not "working" on our
communication network.

..back to work...;-)

--
Jim Fleming