Re: Packet-by-packet compression within IPSec

Bob,

	I have no objections to your proposal, and it certainly can be
easily integrated into the newly revised ESP spec.  We also can allow for
an optional, variable length field in front of the payload, that contains
any per-packet data needed for a specific algorithm.  This is easy to
include in the ESP spec, with SA negotiation determining the presence or
absence of the field and its size.  The only issue,is how we deal with the
possible requirement to support any specific compression protocols.  From
an interoperability perspective, we need to address this aspect of the
standards, and that, I believe, is the basis for concern in terms of
delaying deployment of this technology.

Steve