Re[2]: AH (without ESP) on a secure gateway

 Steve,

 >AH is
 >nominally a "transport" mode security protocol, using the terminlogy
 >adopted for ESP in the IPSEC context.  In this mode, AH cannot be
 >used unambiguously by a pair of firewalls, because it conflicts with
 >possible use of AH by subscriber hosts served by these firewalls.

 Thanks, this ambiguity is the heart of my original question.

 >One can address this problem by tunneling between the firewalls,
 >and using AH in the exterior IP header.

 I agree - AH with ESP on a secure gateway seems pretty unambiguous.

 >One also can achieve a similar (though not identical)  capability by
 >using ESP in tunnel mode, but NOT electing to perform encryption.  Since
 >ESP is being revised to be general enough to NOT requre encryption, this
 >would address the export or import concerns cited earlier.

 Hmm, this might be a solution, but it seems somewhat expensive.  Would all
 host systems providing AH need to provide ESP to handle the possibility
 they are communicating through a gateway?

 >Steve

 Bill