Re[2]: AH (without ESP) on a secure gateway

Bill,

	I have assumed that hosts would implement both AH and ESP, not just
the former or the latter.  Since ESP no longer implies the use of
encryption, i.e., it may be used just for authentication, the question of
export is still open in principle.  The real issue is what set of
algorithms is supported by an ESP implementation, not whether the protocol,
per se, could be used for encryption.  If we choose to define a compliant
subset implementation for export, which has not been the mood of the WG so
far, one could explicitly address the export issue and make ESP subset
implementations just as exportable as AH implementations.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: